The summer is almost over, and your kids are about to return to school. As they hit the roads and the hallways this fall, it’s important to remember to stay safe and healthy in this time of change. Here are some tips for you and your kids to stay safe when they head back to school.
If your child is driving to school, a friend is driving them, or if you or another parent are carpooling them to school, it’s imperative that they remain safe on the road.
- Get some extra practice in with your teen driver
- Obey school zone speed limits and pedestrians crossing the road
- Never pass a bus that is loading or unloading
- Stop far enough back in school zones to allow kids to enter and exit buses safely
If your child is taking the bus to school, it’s crucial for them to be aware of their surroundings as they enter and exit.
- Stand six feet away from the curb to allow space for buses and cars
- Stay seated and don’t distract the driver while on the bus
Whether they are walking to school or not, it’s important to be vigilant while walking on sidewalks or the side of roads.
- Walk facing traffic if no sidewalk is available
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in a crosswalk
If your child is preparing for fall sports, take extra precautions to reduce the risk of sports-related injuries.
- Warm up and cool down before all workouts
- Stay hydrated and eat well
- Always get head injuries examined by a doctor
- Wear protective gear when necessary
Safety in the Classroom
While in the halls and classrooms, remain aware of your surroundings and take extra care of your health to ensure a positive learning experience
- Have a strong backpack with wide straps to avoid back strain
- Learn the school’s emergency procedures
- Eat a full lunch and drink water throughout the day
- Inform the school of any health or emotional concerns
What to Do If Your Child Suffers an Injury
Even with the safety tips above and extra care to avoid distractions, accidents happen. If your child is injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact Fowler | Helsel | Vogt to advocate for you and your family. We have extensive experience providing legal counsel to accident victims and can help you recover damages and seek the justice you deserve.
Visit us online or give us a call at (559) 900-1280 to get started today.