Fresno Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Millions Recovered for Our Clients
Whether or not you use your bicycle as a primary means of conveyance, it’s an excellent way to get around, stay in shape, and do your part to reduce carbon monoxide emissions into the atmosphere. Unfortunately, you are exposed to outside motor vehicle error. Through no fault of your own, you may be struck or forced off your bike and need legal help.
Bike riders often have no protection at all when driving on the road. You may be wearing a helmet, elbow and knee pads, but this is nothing compared to the protection passenger vehicle riders have. Injuries are likely great in an encounter with a passenger vehicle, and our firm wants to help you recover compensation for all of your damages.
If you were injured in a bike crash as a result of someone else's negligence, call our Fresno bicycle accident lawyers today at (559) 900-1280 for a free consultation. We are available 24/7!
Determining Fault in the Other Party
Most of these incidents occur as a result of drivers quite literally not seeing the bicycle riders. This is an effect of what psychology calls a scotoma, which is the phenomenon of not being able to see what one is not looking for. Drivers are supposed to train themselves to look for and be considerate of bicycle riders.
Most accidents can be the fault of the driver if her or she:
- Is driving distracted or under the influence
- Failed to come to a complete stop at a sign or light
- Failed to use their signals before and while merging
- Failure to check blind spots before merging
- Entered or drove to close a designated bicycle lane
Bicycle Lane Laws in Fresno, CA
Generally, cyclists and other very slow moving traffic must keep as close to the right side of the road as possible, within a bike lane where applicable. There are exceptions, and even some law enforcement may not recognize your rights as a cyclists.
A cyclist may be entitled to the entire width of the lane if:
- Preparing for a left turn
- The lane is too small to safely ride beside traffic
Cyclists are generally restricted from:
- Using crosswalks
- Riding on certain sidewalks in Fresno
- Riding under the influence
- Not signaling or following traffic signs
There can be a lot of factors involved in these cases, and even if you bear some of the fault, the driver can also be deemed partially at fault. It's very important to speak to a lawyer so that you don't miss out on the opportunity to potentially recover damages.
Bike Helmet Laws in California
In the state of California, all individuals under the age of 18 (i.e., minors) are required to wear a helmet while riding a bicycle. Despite this requirement, it is highly encouraged that all cyclists, regardless of age, wear a helmet. While wearing a helmet may not necessarily prevent all injuries, it can greatly reduce the risk of severe head trauma in the event of a collision or fall.
Establishing Your Case for Compensation
Bicycle riders have just as much of a right to safety on the road as a driver of a commercial truck, passenger vehicle, or motorcycle. If you were injured as a result of the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to compensation.
Compensation is often paid out for damages that can include:
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital expenses
- Emergency transport expenses
- Loss of wages, present and future
Reasons to Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Expertise in Bicycle Accident Law
- Hiring a bicycle accident lawyer is important because they have the expertise and experience necessary to handle your case. Bicycle accident lawyers are familiar with the laws surrounding cycling accidents and can help you understand what your rights are as an injured cyclist. They will also be able to provide advice on how to best proceed with your case, as well as represent you in court if needed.
Knowledge of Local Laws
- A bicycle accident lawyer will also have knowledge of local laws that may affect your claim. For example, some states have specific laws that require cyclists to wear helmets or other safety equipment while riding their bikes. A bicycle accident attorney will be able to advise you on whether these laws apply in your particular situation and how best to proceed if they do.
Understanding of Insurance Companies
- Insurance companies can be difficult to deal with when it comes to bicycle accidents, as they often attempt to minimize the amount of compensation that is paid out for claims. A bicycle accident attorney in Fresno will be experienced in dealing with insurance companies and can ensure that you receive the full amount of compensation that you are entitled to under the law.
Accessibility & Support
- Finally, a bicycle accident lawyer is accessible and available when needed most. They understand that after an accident, victims need quick access to legal advice and representation in order to get their lives back on track as quickly as possible. Our bicycle accident lawyers at Fowler | Helsel | Vogt are available 24/7 and can provide immediate assistance when needed most.
Get Started on Your Case Today
If you or a loved were the victim of a bicycle accident, we urge you to do everything you can to protect the security and future of yourself and of your family. Contact our Fresno bicycle injury attorneys at Fowler | Helsel | Vogt at (559) 900-1280 and take the first steps toward filing your claim.
Don't wait to get help! Contact our firm for a free, no-obligation consultation today.